Sunday 13 August 2023

First time in Oxford

So even though I have lived near Oxford for over 30 years I have never visited. 

So yesterday was a brilliant treat.  

Exploring such a fascinating city was so much fun.  I'm not normally a fan of cities, I don't like the crowds and the built up space.  

But like Norwich I found it such a great place.  The buildings are stunning.  I have never seen (except London) such a huge mix of nationalities.  

The fact that so many academics come to study and goodness there are so many different areas of study. From music to science and art it is just incredible. 

I am also a big fan of Inspector Morse.  Inspector Morse embodies cultured, upper-middle-class Britishness, and enjoys the finer things in life - good beer, vintage cars, fine opera. He and his trusty companion, Detective Sergeant Lewis, solve the crimes that plague the environs of University of Oxford. Although he's a brilliant detective, Morse is not infallible - and he's often pretty grumpy to boot. But he and Lewis tend to make sure the bad guys pay for their crimes

The series ran from 1987-2000 for a total of 33 episodes.  So I am going to research some of the locations for a return trip. 

But for now here was the adventure done on the first visit. 


Knitting outside Christchurch College on the Broad Walk


This shop was disappointing it was VERY small but glad went to have a look, but just far too much commercial knick knacks for me



This is Pembroke College which is 400 years old. 



A telephone box with different layouts of the Sylvanian Families.  


It was a forgone conclusion that I'd visit the wool shop The Wool Hound to see James Makes Yarn.




Some of the other eclectic finds on the trip. 


This is Lincoln College with almost 600 years of amazing history. 


The streets are just such a mix of architecture. 







We asking for tips I was recommended by two people that must visit Blackwells bookshop which has been selling books since 1879.  It is the most amazing shop I have been in and if you get the chance it has to be on the visit list. 



Finally with all the hype of the Barbie movie I just had to share these Crocs, but goodness they where heavy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rhosilli and Burry Port

One of the many reasons I love The Gower is the large expanses of beaches, which unlike Devon and Cornwall are so much quieter and just huge...