Monday 26 July 2021

Visiting Dad

This post is a very personal share of place and person very dear to me. 

Back in 2014 my Dad for his own personal reasons took his own life.  People may judge and say "it's the cowards way out", but you should never judge someone else's suffering and if it eased him from his demons then I believe and always will that he was incredibly brave for what he did. 

My Dad was a very private person, but oh my goodness he was super fit, he used to run marathons and triathlon. Growing up I used to go on long cycle rides and we'd go swimming together. I swam my first mile with him.  

He absolutely adhore his 3 grand children and would love to play footy with them and take my son rock climbing at Clevedon.  He just loved being outdoors, be it pottering in the garden or out hiking on the hills.  

From my Mum I am blessed to have my passion for knitting that she taught me from a young age and she is originally from Wales a place that I gravitate to the most for peace and a sense of calm. 

I am blessed to have the same birthday as him and too just love spending time in the garden and have recently started running and I love walking in the hills. 

It has however taken me 7 years to be able to finally visit his resting place, but today is the day and I'm so so glad I did. His ashes are scattered in a beautiful church yard at the base of Crooks Peak Hill which is part of the Mendips in Somerset.

So I have come to just sit and be at peace with him and do a spot of knitting under the bush in the shade. Then on top of Crooks Peak overlooking the Mendips towards Cheddar, Somerset, Brean down, the Severn Estuary and take in the incredible 360° view and just be. 






2 comments:

  1. I can't believe it's been 7 years Sara. I'm so pleased you've visited him, and I'm sure he was looking down at you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such memories Sara. The bush you sat under was where I used to sit under with Georgie while dad had his run. It was our favourite place and I hope he is at peace.xx

    ReplyDelete

Hidcote

I am very lucky to live very near a very big variety of National Trust properties within the Cotswolds  This weekend I took myself off to  H...