Tuesday, 1 September 2026

Monthly catch up - August 2026

 

The first of August started perfectly for me.

I have a new routine I love to do on a weekend morning, of taking my coffee, breakfast, knitting and kitty out in to the garden, to sit and enjoy it.

I do love watching Luna explore the garden.  She is predominantly an indoor cat, as many British Short Hair breeds are.  But from an early age I put her in a harness and she knows when I pick it up that it either means she is going off on an adventure in her backpack, or exploring the back garden.

My current knitting project is a new pattern that will be coming out soon, so this is the test knit, which of course will be knitted in many places.

 
   
 
I have missed my trip to Slimbridge.  I have kept a record and since November last year and have visited 16 times.
 
For me it is a place you can just be amongst nature and enjoy a spot of people watching.
 
As you go from the reception entrance down to the wetlands they is always have an exhibition of artists work.  I was particularly taken with these images by Alan Hackett.
 
When I looked up the artist to link the account I could only find Slimbridge exhibition information.
 
I did not realise until reading this, that the images are in fact created using a combination of AI, photoshop and other editing software.
 
For me it is the vibrant colours and when I looked closely, I thought the images where created using Gouache paint.  But the label next to the images does say "abstract paint" and for 12" x 12" costs £80.  Amazing how technology can foul you!
 
 
 
The temperature was low 20's, with a perfect shade of blue sky and great clouds.
 
I headed straight to one of my favourite places which is only open during the summer, that takes you to the estuary.
 
Here you can sit, and if like me watch as the tide which was fully in when I arrived.
 

It goes from being flat like a millpond at 11.30, with crystal clear views over to Forest of Dean and Arlingham.
 
 
To seeing the sand banks and hearing the water as it retreats two hours later.  Making it perfect for the wading birds, until the next high tide!
 
 
So I made some nice progress on my knitting.
 
 

The gardens still have so much colour in parts and a great source of inspiration for my felting ideas, along with being perfect for Bee's.  

I need to have some of these Echinops Ruthenicus "Blue Globe", get me sounding like Monty Don!! The joy of Google image search.  I for one fully embrace AI technology.

 

Sunday involved both breakfast and lunch in the garden and whilst I did a spot of garden, kitty saved my bench seat for me!

 

I then finished off my last felted piece for my current module, and I have to say this is by far my favourite piece I have created.

The second week of August, is one I would rather forget.  My cat became extremely unwell.  We had started our Saturday morning with our little tradition of her having a little explore and me eating my breakfast.  But this Saturday was very different as Luna I can only assume had eaten some grass, but she started violently coughing and sneezing which she could not stop.

So it was the start of five trips to the vets over the space of a week, including an overnight stop at an emergency vets.  The vets were unsure what exactly caused it, even up until the final trip to the vets.  She had a CT scan and it showed she had a tiny hole and it was filly her Lung, Stomach and Intesene with air.  Incredibly they sucked out the excess air, and within a week of quiet rest she was back to herself, apart from three bald patches on her legs and stomach.

I am so glad that I have insurance as it cost £3,654 so it is so worth having.  I will forever be grateful for them and shall treat her even more like a princess than I already to.  I am looking forward to taking her out on trips in her backpack on fun adventures.

I was due to go to for my longest trip in my camper van to Isle of Wight near the end of August, but there was no way I was leaving her so I cancelled the trip and booked the week before off, which coincides with my birthday.  So lots of day trips are planned.

The first of day was perfect as it involved a full day with my Son.  Had a trip into the local town, a delicious coffee, an amazing Ceaser salad made for me and a walk to a new to me location in the Cotswolds.

 

The Well was so interesting and woo look how clear the water was as you could clearly see the Frog/Toad.


I as I always do have a long "to do list".  Involving things such as washing my van, completing coursework, reading, day trips and visit to a local garden centre to get some colour in the garden.

On the first day of my holiday, I started off by washing the van so it is now nice a shiny for a short while.

 

Then having Googled "nurseries near me" I headed to Gotherington Nurseries, a lovely twenty minute drive out, passing through a really picturesque village which has a small new housing development in progress, so I have enquired as to the cost to buy a new house, which I feel sure will be way out of my price range and would mean a downgrade from three to two bedrooms.


I love the plaque I did not buy, but may head back and add to my garden.  They were some lovely colourful plants.

 

This was the little haul I came back with.  I have taken cuttings from the Rose and red flower (the name escapes me), so I can hopefully get more of them.  I also picked up two Thyme plants and I do love the big grass.  The Rose plant is really good as it has both yellow and white flowers on the same plant.

 
 
The grass fits perfectly in a pot purchased a few years ago from Norfolk Lavender, although you can not see the pretty pattern that well on the pot.
 

 
 
The statue I have in the garden is 26 years old purchased just before my Son was born.  The huge apple was from a tree I have in the garden that for the second year running has produced some huge I believe cooking apples.  I just need to go Blackberry picking and make a delicious pudding, oh no another thing for my list!

I had intended taking a trip to Slimbridge on my birthday, but instead decided to spend the day there on the Tuesday.

Another glorious hour sat by the river, the tide being I would think at it's height.  It was funny walking back from the waters edge back to the reserve, the cows somehow knew it was feeding time, so all slowly walked along the ridge and down to the field.  I did feel for them, just so many fly's on them all the time.  The weather was a mix of cloud and sun, so much more manageable.

My knitting is coming along well, I do love creating things, this being a complete, create as you go knit and will hold great memories of the places I knit it.


Wednesday involved a trip to Westonbirt. Just so much colour inspiration and also shade.  I found the perfect spot to sit for an hour, people and cloud watch and enjoy the absolute peace and fresh air.

My birthday was quiet in the morning, staying home relaxing watching a tv drama and then met up with my Son once he had finished work.  We had a glorious local walk, the light was just incredible over the field, like pure gold.

I can not believe how fast the week has gone!  For my last full day I used my National Trust memebership and visited Snowshill National Trust.  I then decided to do a walk I had been planning for ages to go to Cotswold Lavender fields, but it is only a short period of opening from June to early August.  But I had a nice walk so nothing was lost.

I loved how the flowers at Hidcote matched perfectly with my knit.  I still have yet to name my new design, maybe I should name it after one of these flowers?

For Saturday I had a lovely walk into town, parking up at Pittville Park so I could enjoy the walk, met my lovely friend first and had a catch up, and my free cake thanks to Cafe Nero for my birthday treat, before we then we headed to our monthly LGBTQ+ meet up.

On Sunday I took a friend to visit Slimbridge, which was lovely to see from someone else's point of view.  Of course I got more pictures!

 

I spotted this insect on the flowers, isn't it amazing seeing it close up, all the tiny hairs around it and I just love the wings.

Sunday was a combination of a visit to Slimbridge, but also a relaxed time sitting on the canal bank watching the world go by and knitting.

The evening was a lovely treat, for me and a different friend who had never been over to Tewkesbury and thoroughly enjoyed her trip and would be taking herself back to show her partner what is on the doorstep that I have visited so many times, but many people have not. 

The final week of August I had the pleasure of feeding a good friends adhorable oh my god super soft and cute rabbit.

 

I also spent a number of hours after work, working on my next module of my course with new and exciting things to learn.

I have on my desk this little piece of felted art that I did, when the light catches it it literally sparkles I just love it. 

I have not, like many I am sure slept well for quite some time with the heat, but Sunday and Monday I actually managed a reasonable sleep.  It was so nice to wake up and see the light coming through and brilliant to see the full moon peeping through the window.  I have a thing about the Moon, I just find the whole "space", Moon and stars I find magical.
 


I also spent time sitting with my gorgeous girl in the snug, reading my favourite magazine which is just so full of great information about an area I have lived in for over three decades and never really explored like I should.  I am also really enjoying the fifth in the series of Anne Cleeves Shetland books, they are such page turners.

  

On Sunday I headed to the local craft fair which again was a great event with new and different vendors.  

The Kiwi Fruit is Cute has a Crowd Funding page that expires beginning of October 2026 if anyone would like to donate, here is the link Crowdfunder to help The Kiwi Fruit is Cute 

A dear friend of mine had their yarn stall there.  This is just a small selection of it.

 

I am so excited as I will be doing my first ever craft event at Tetbury Wool Fair on the 11th October as Bonnie A Happy Crow is so kindly letting me share a stand with them.
 

 

Bank Holiday Monday I took myself off to a local area I knew was great for blackberries.

It did not disappoint and I spent a lovely hour having a walk in the countryside listening to a Red Kite fly above me while I collected enough free fruit to last me a month!

 

My other amazing free find was these two gorgeous, pristine condition books in the local free swap book/bus stop.

So there we have it another month of blogging ticked off and now we head into autumn and a very full and busy September ahead.

Thanks for reading, until next month :) 

 

No comments: