Friday 25 August 2023

Birthday trip away. Turning 56, feeling 40!

So how on earth may I ask did that happen.  

One minute your 30 off on a trip to Greece to celebrate.  The next your 56!!!  

On the other hand I am truly blessed to have the best person in my life, my Son who is 22 now and between him and his amazing girlfriend keep me both mentally and physically way younger. 

So basically I am now re living the last 16 years, but with the addition of being slightly older, but alot wiser! 

To celebrate my birthday it will be an extended affair thanks to said two people firstly involving a camping trip to my favourite country Wales! 


The first part of the fun having seen the oh so funny Susan Calman's Grand Days Out-South Wales where she had a trip on a boat around the bay at Cardiff.  So to my complete joy Son had organised a trip too!




We then after an amazing lunch in the Docklands headed to Museum Wales St Fagans what an amazing place.  So much history, great for walking.  They even had a craft fair where I may have purchased a skein of yarn!  

Day two, well this was up their on the absolute brilliant days, namely due to sea and an incredible Geological beach being involved!! 

We headed to Monknash Beach 

To get to the beach you walk down through this beautiful woodland where there is a small waterfall. 


I have never been on such a fascinating beach.  You have the headland which is full of thousands of years of history. 

Then you have rock pools, and the beautiful, beautiful sea. 







I was happy I spotted a fossil!! 


One of the eye opening things that both Son and girlfriend are very keen on is clearing any rubbish they find on the beach and are both strong supporters of 4 ocean a charity who's statement is 

"4ocean was founded on the belief that business can be a force for good and that the small choices we make every day, collectively, have the power to change the world.

Together, we can end the ocean plastic crisis and build a more sustainable future where humanity grows alongside nature, not at its expense."



In the space of 30 minute's we collected all this rubbish!! 

After the beach we headed to Dyffryn Gardens National Trust

The grounds where spacious and just lovely to walk around. At the moment you can not go into the house as it is under renovation. 

But both Son and I love books, he collects travel books, me novels.  We bagged ourselves 4 great books for £6! All of the money goes back into renovating the property a great idea the National Trust does. 















At the end of the walk we lead on the grass and I watched the clouds drift by, so much fun! 


The view from the campsite my last being 55!

The next morning on my birthday we woke to a beautiful day. 


Originally I was set to head off on a solo trip, but Son asked if I'd like to join them for a spontaneous day of surprise and fun.  

Well that was a no brainier!! 

Firstly we went to a lovely town called Cowbridge it was a really nice vibe to it. 

There they had a great Vintage shop Happy Days Vintage an eclectic mix of great things. 

Not least this beautiful chair that would look great in my house! 


After this whistle stop visit we headed to a place I didn't know was in Wales. 

The Royal Mint Experience for £17 you get an incredible tour and if you go on the weekend you can even go inside the factory where they make the coins.  It is well worth a trip. 




To finish off my birthday treat before I headed home we drove to this stunning Reservoir in the Brecon Beacons Pontsticill Reservoir. 

Created in 1927 it holds 15,400 mega litres of water in the 110 ft embankment. 

I'm times of very low water you can see the remains of the Chapel, built in 1829 that is now submerged in the bottom of the reservoir. 



I hope you have enjoyed my birthday festivities as much as I have! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rhosilli and Burry Port

One of the many reasons I love The Gower is the large expanses of beaches, which unlike Devon and Cornwall are so much quieter and just huge...