Sunday 19 July 2020

Sewing

I grew up with a very talented Mother who could not only knit and taught me, but is an amazing seamstress.

Alongside that my best friend is also amazing at sewing, so it was only a matter of time before I too took the plunge!

A few years ago there was a big craze to have the lovely pinafore dress designed by Dottie-angel there is a lovely selection that can be found over on Pinterest

Mum had made me my first Dottie Frock, I can't believe it was five years ago! I share the story here.  So the pattern was already cut perfectly for my size.

So armed with the pattern I headed to the local sewing shop in Cheltenham Just Fabrics and found myself the perfect material!!



I also found I had kept two books which I was pleased about which I shall dip into.


So I picked up the machine my Mum kindly let me have and I could start to learn.




To start with I had a practice with different stitches and with help of bestie who cut out my first ever pattern!

Day two involved embellishing pockets and starting to sew my first ever garment.



With the help of Professor Pincushion (what a cool name!) I added the bias binding to the neck. 



It's not the neatest, but I'm chuffed that I did it! Everyone has to start somewhere don't you agree?

I was determined to finish so I started at 9 ready to sew.


On to darts.


I found a great YouTube video just on Dottie Frock.

Next French seams with the help of Howcast


My final tutorial was for the bias hemming which Sewing Lara explained.

Here is the finished dress after 9 hours work.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidcote

I am very lucky to live very near a very big variety of National Trust properties within the Cotswolds  This weekend I took myself off to  H...