Sunday 29 October 2017

Yarn at Medicine, yarn show Birmingham


Yesterday I had the pleasure of taking a trip on the train with two yarny friends to have a look at a new yarn event that was taking place.

Any excuse for a trip on the train and if it involves yarn even better!
 
 
So having changed my shoes three times I opted for these very cute Mary Jane shoes with little leaf detail on, in order that I could model my "coming soon" new sock design called Liner Line, which is a lovely long sock which is perfect for boots or cute shoes and features a plain foot and textured leg pattern.
 

This were the beautiful yarns I came away with.
 

 
I have a passion for two types of yarns.  One is laceweight for making beautiful shawl designs.  So when I saw this delicate yarn by Third Vault Yarns which was a blend of Bluefaced Leicester and Silk it had to come home with me.



I am very lucky to be friends with Vicki who is the owner of  Vicki Brown Design.  She has an incredible eye for colour and I had been wanting to buy the "Wisteria" colourway yarn (on the left) for a while.  On the train journey up though Vicki very kindly gifted me the yarn.

Whilst walking around the show I then spotted the perfect partner for this yarn by Hey Jay Yarn another stunning yarn which is a blend of Alpaca, Merino and nylon.

Both these yarns are "sock or 4ply weight" which is currently what I am using the most.  This yarn is very versatile as it can be not only used for socks, which I love to design and knit, but also used for shawls, or jumpers (if you have a big enough quantity).






















I spotted West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4 ply their range is very diverse, from limited edition yarns, to festive and fun yarns.  I purchased the blue yarn with a great yarn name of Blueberry Bonbon and a limited edition yarn call Marie Curie, where a percentage of the sales goes to the charity.

With this yarn I am thinking a design inspired by daffodils.











The show had some very talented indie dyers with very knowledgeable stall holders.
 
After we had spent an hour walking around the show we headed off around Birmingham. 
 
I do love visiting cities and seeing things through fresh eyes, as even though I have been to this city on several occasions it always has something new to share.
 


 
The architecture in this city is just beautiful and against the at times blue, then grey sky it was just so inspiring.



 
The colours of the bricks and the liner lines and that of the Barclaycard Arena with it's copper features against the glass had to be taken photographed for future design inspiration.




 
Birmingham is also steeped in Victorian history, an era that I so so love.  Building that not only reminded me of one of my favourite detective series Poirot, with the 1930 style buildings and amazing design featured windows and curves, but the incredible detail of the Town Hall.
 




When I have the chance I always love to take a walk along the canal, I am always drawn to water where ever I go and canals are such interesting places.
 

 
 
Last but by no means least on the tour of the city was the breath taking library, which be it up close or from a distance is the a piece of modern architecture that I for one just adore.
 
I hope you have enjoyed my short tour of Birmingham and the insight in to what will hopefully will be another new yarn event in the calendar for all folk yarn lovers.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the yarn festival. I've got a skein of yarn by HeyJay sitting in my stash too, just waiting for the right moment to be cast on! I haven't been to Birmingham for years so thanks for the tour! xx

    ReplyDelete

Welford Park snowdrops in the Spring

This weekend I drove an hour from home to visit Welford Park . They have an incredible display of snowdrops that I had not seen before.  You...