Sunday 8 October 2017

The humble sock.


I started knitting socks back in 2009, I can not believe it was so long ago, but thanks to the joy of Ravelry project database I am able to recollect this information.

During my sock journey I have made "gift socks for family and friends", socks for myself and socks for charity knitting.

However I do love designing and have decided that this is the area I am going to focus my attention.

I have built up quite a collection not only of glorious yarns, but also am building on my reference book library and currently have four great books that relate to sock knitting and designing.

My first book I bought was Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy Johnson.  The book has some great features including the basic construction of socks along with a really good selection of designs.

For me Toe up sock knitting is definitely my preferred method of sock construction.  I personally just like the fact that I can knit until I run out of yarn if that is the route I want to take.

Next in my library is Super Socks by Christine Perry.  I purchased this copy from Christine on my visit to Yarndale two years ago.  The book is so comprehensive with brilliantly photographed images to help you step by step in your quest to make socks.

The next book purchased this year on the recommendation of Woollenwords who is a great tech editor and guide when I am looking for help is Sock Innovation by Cookie A.  This book was originally published in 2009. The 144 pages are just crammed full of incredible detail about design ideas taking up the first half of the book, followed by 15 original designed Cookie A which encompase lace, cable and textures.  So I am really looking forward to reading this in great detail.

My final book (so far!) was purchased on a visit to Salt Mills when visiting Saltaire (blog to follow).  Within Salt Mills they have a great bookshop which covers a whole floor of the building and has such a variety of literature to read.  Whilst browsing the shelves I came across the perfect book Sock Knitting by Ann Budd.  Again a fascinating introduction into sock knitting along with designing and the book is also divided into both Toe up and Top down construction.

For me knitting is in my blood, I have been knitting since I was a teenager.  But to me knitting is about more that just the finished item, I like to have projects that are just "mindless knits", but equally I need to challenge myself and I love to design.  So for the next year at least I am going to be embarking on a new challenge of developing and learning new techniques, pattern writing and designing and working with independent indie yarn dyers to produce a selection of my own sock designs.

So watch this space....






1 comment:

  1. Ooh, that sounds really exciting! I'll look forward to seeing your sock designs! xx

    ReplyDelete

Hidcote

I am very lucky to live very near a very big variety of National Trust properties within the Cotswolds  This weekend I took myself off to  H...